Welcome to the Inaugural KCSMW STEM Competition
An event organized by Kerala Cultural Society of Metropolitan Washington (kcsmw.org)
Saturday, May 07, 2022
Annandale High School, 4700 Medford Dr, Annandale, VA 22003
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Registration Fee: $10 per participant
The purpose of this event is
- to inspire and empower students to explore Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) projects.
- to encourage students to engage in the STEM fields and provide an opportunity to compete in STEM-related events.
- to provide an opportunity for students to broaden their knowledge in STEM, and develop organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- to provide an opportunity for students to meet other students who share their interests and learn valuable problem-solving and STEM skills.
- to demonstrate skills and knowledge of students in a wide variety of topics to professionals and community members.
- to offer guidance/personal development opportunities and give public recognition to students for their work.
- 2:00 PM – 3:00 PMParticipants Arrive, Check-in and Set-up Front lobby & Cafeteria of school
- 3:00 PM – 4:00 PMJudging Cafeteria
- 4:00 PM – 5:00 PMProject Viewing Open to the Public Cafeteria
- 5:00 PM – 5:30 PMResult Announcement Cafeteria
- Award distribution along with the KCSMW Summer Dream program later that evening (First prize will be awarded on stage).
- All participants will be presented with a STEM Certificate of Participation.
- Participants currently enrolled in Elementary, Middle, and High School are eligible to participate in the event, your participation is completely voluntary.
- A participant can participate as an individual or as a team of two.
- A participant is allowed to participate only in one project.
- There will be 3 judging categories - Elementary, Middle and High School.
- A team can consist of participants within the same category (Elementary, Middle or High school).
- During judging and public viewing, please be patient and stay with your project.
- Participants must be present during the entire judging process to be eligible for awards.
- Participants are expected to maintain the highest standard of honesty and integrity.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Safety Rules - All hazardous substances or devices, flames or flammable materials, dry ice, sharps, animals, and body fluids are not permitted.
Guidelines for Project Display
- Each group will be assigned a number and a corresponding table to set-up the project during check-in.
- Projects not displayed by 3:00 PM will be disqualified.
- Display project board size – standard, three-panel display that unfolds to be 36" tall by 48" wide.
- The tri-fold presentation board must stand by itself.
- It is the participants responsibility to clean up the project and any project materials at the end of the event.
Suggested Project Display Template
- April 7, 2023
8:00 am - 5:00 pm